Twelve activists linked to the Palestine Action group who were charged with breaking into the British site of an Israel-linked defence firm have been released on bail.
There were tears of joy at London’s Central Criminal Court, better known as the Old Bailey, as the 12 prisoners, including hunger strikers Teuta Hoxha, Kamran Ahmed, Qesser Zuhrah and Heba Muraisi, were released on Friday.
- list 1 of 3Pro-Palestine activists acquitted of burglary at Israeli arms site in UK
- list 2 of 3She took on Britain’s Palestine Action ban. Then she won.
- list 3 of 3Co-founder of Palestine Action: government’s ban on group ‘backfired’
end of list
The group – which also included Zara Farooque, Salaam Mahmood, Moiz Ibrahim, Finn Collins, Hannah Davidson, Harland (Harley) Archer, Louie Adams and Liam Mullany – had been held on remand in connection with a raid on the Elbit Systems factory in Filton, near Bristol, on August 6, 2024.
“Despite the state’s best efforts to break each and every one of them, they will walk out today with their heads held high,” said a spokesperson for the Filton 24 Defence Committee, hailing their release as a “monumental victory”.
The release of the 12, which comes after 11 other defendants charged in connection with the raid were also granted bail, means that 23 out of the so-called “Filton 24” are now out of prison.
On February 4, six of the activists were acquitted of aggravated burglary, the most serious of the charges they faced in connection with the raid at London’s Woolwich Crown Court. The jury was unable to reach a verdict on charges of criminal damage.
On Wednesday, the same court dropped aggravated burglary charges, which carry a maximum sentence of life in prison, against the remaining 18 Filton 24 members, granting five more defendants bail.
Advertisement
Only Samuel Corner, who faced an additional charge of allegedly hitting a female police sergeant with a sledgehammer, remains on remand. He did not apply for bail on Friday.
The Filton 24 Defence Committee called for Corner’s release. “This isn’t right, or just, given he has already spent over 18 months in prison with no convictions. He should also be granted immediate bail,” said the spokesperson.
The release of the activists comes after the British High Court ruled that the government’s ban on Palestine Action as a “terror group” was unlawful and disproportionate.
Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood said in a statement that she was “disappointed” and that she intended to appeal the judgement in the Court of Appeal.
Related News
Week in Pictures: From Israeli air raids on Lebanon to bombing in Pakistan
Israeli raids, settler attacks, land takeover continues across West Bank
A Palestinian cancer patient stuck in Egypt for two years returns to Gaza